Every Easter since my kids were small we have made Resurrection Tombs on Good Friday. Each kid makes their own. On Good Friday we put “Jesus” in the tomb and close the door, with the guards outside. On Easter Sunday we open the tomb, take “Jesus” out, scatter the “soldiers” and add the angels and the women who come to the tomb.
This year you can make one, too!
For each scene you will need:
- 2 T. butter or margarine
- 1/2-package marshmallows (about 20 large marshmallows)
- 3 cups Rice Krispies™ cereal
- Butter or margarine to butter the bowl and your hands
- Wafer cookies for path
- 12 gummy bears ( 1 white, 2 yellow, 3 orange, 6 red)
- Green candies for bushes and colourful candies for flowers
How to Make the Resurrection Tombs:
- Wash your hands. Gather the ingredients. With the help of an adult, melt the butter or margarine over low heat in a saucepan on the stove. Add the marshmallows and mix with a wooden spoon until the marshmallows are melted and mixed with the butter or margarine. Take the saucepan off the heat and stir in the Rice Krispies™ until they are well coated.
- Turn the cereal bowl upside down and spread some butter or margarine all over the palms of your hands and the outside of the bowl. Press most of the Rice Krispies™ mixture tightly over the bowl. (Careful, it’s hot! The butter on your hands will help protect your hands.) Leave an open space for the entrance to the tomb. Make the rest of the mixture into a “stone” that is big enough to cover the entrance to the tomb. Leave the tomb until it is cool and hard, then carefully take it off the bowl. Put it in the corner of a large tray or shallow baking pan. Lean the stone next to the entrance.
- Use the wafer cookies to make a path leading to the tomb. Place the green candies around the tomb to be bushes and scatter the colourful candies as flowers.
- On Good Friday, put the white gummy bear inside the tomb and cover the entrance with the “tombstone.” Stand the 6 red gummy bears outside the entrance to be the guards.
- On Easter Sunday morning, open the tomb, take out the “Jesus” gummy bear and put him in the garden. Scatter the 6 red gummy bears near the entrance to be the soldiers asleep on the ground. Put the 2 yellow gummy bears on the “tombstone” to be angels. Put the 3 orange gummy bears on the path to be the women coming to the tomb.
Celebrate that Jesus is risen!
“Who Am I?” Game
Each day this week we gave you a clue to a person in the Bible. Today you get the last question, and then the answer is below!
6. When I heard Jesus was risen from the dead I ran so fast I got to the tomb first.
Week 3 Theme Poster
Here’s the poster for Week 3 that you can colour or decorate put up in your window!
Answer to “Who Am I?” Game: John (Jesus’ disciple)